With the average of six meters of snow each year, its grandiose landscapes, its warm welcome and its many maintained trails, it is not surprising that Saguenay – Lac-Saint-Jean is nicknamed the Snowmobile Paradise!
Take advantage of the winter cold to go on an expedition on your snowmobile, on trail or off-trail. Let yourself be overwhelmed by a feeling of freedom that will not be forgotten.
Snowmobiling is one of the most popular hobbies when centimeters of snow accumulate in Saguenay – Lac-Saint-Jean. The trails, the accommodations and the restaurants offer you incredible experiences that will make many people come from far away to come and explore the snowmobile trails of our beautiful region.
3,800 km of trails are maintained so that snowmobilers can enjoy an extraordinary experience. There are a few good things to know for an invigorating, wintery experience that will be forever remembered.
Use it to set up your own itinerary, to locate companies offering snowmobile services and to consult real-time conditions and trail conditions. In addition, discover a multitude of ideas for short or long tours. Want to know more? Consult the FCMQ Website.
There are 11 snowmobile clubs in the region as well as 2 partner clubs from Chapais and Chibougamau. Together, these 13 clubs cover 3,800 km of trails, so it is no small feat to say that our beautiful region has a true snowmobile paradise.
The snowmobile industry in Quebec remains possible thanks to the involvement in the clubs of several passionate and dedicated volunteers. They take care of the enforcement of signage, rights of way, scrapping of trails, etc. Volunteers remain at the heart of the snowmobile activity.
The FCMQ's interactive map and iMotoneige mobile application offer a ton of tools to prepare for your snowmobile trips:
Interactive trail map
Trail conditions and surfacing times
Itinerary creation tool
Location of businesses offering services to snowmobilers
Download the app to your phone to access trail maps without having a data plan or cell signal.
The main trails in the region:
- 23 - from Alma to the Laurentides Wildlife Reserve
- 93 - from Chibougamau to Sacré-Coeur, via the Monts-Valin
- 83 - from La Malbaie to Val-d´Or (Ferland-et-Boilleau, Saguenay and Sainte-Hedwidge)
- 383 - near L’Anse-Saint-Jean
- 328 - from Sainte-Rose-du-Nord to Saint-David-de-Falardeau
- 373 - from Roberval to Monts-Valin via the north of the lake
The main access trails to the region:
- 3 - La Côte-Nord (Tadoussac), Charlevoix and Quebec
- 23 - The Laurentian Wildlife Reserve
- 83 - from La Malbaie to Val-d´Or (via Ferland-et-Boilleau, Saguenay and Sainte-Hedwidge)
- 93 - from Chibougamau to Sacré-Coeur (by Dolbeau-Mistassini and Monts-Valin)
- 355 - from Mauricie to Lac-Bouchette
To access the snowmobile trails, you must have trail access rights. Some fees are for the year, others are daily and some are for equipment rentals.
- $375 for an annual trail pass purchased on or before December 9, 2021
- $455 for an annual access fee purchased after December 9, 2021
- $700 for an annual trail pass sold on trails*.
- $285 for an annual access fee for antique snowmobiles (2002 and older snowmobiles)
- $240 for a 7-day access fee
- $150 for a 3-day access fee
- $70 for a 1 day access fee
- $590 for a rental snowmobile access fee
Access rights are sold online by the FCMQ (La Fédération des Clubs de Motoneigistes du Québec).
Take full advantage of our beautiful region by combining discoveries and adventures aboard a snowmobile that you can rent. If you do not own a snowmobile or are a novice snowmobiler, it is important to book a snowmobile rental and consider the services of a guide when planning your excursion.
Here are some suggestions from companies that offer snowmobile rentals and / or snowmobile services:
Destination Monts-Valin (Monts-Valin sector)
Équinox Aventure (Lac-Saint-Jean sector)
Évasion sport (Saguenay sector)
OrganisAction (Saguenay / Fjord sector)
Pourvoirie Cap au Leste (Saguenay / Monts-Valin sector)
Centre de vacances Ferme 5 étoiles (Sacré-Coeur sector)
- Lac-Saint-Jean snowmobile club
- Snowmobile Association Snowball
- Roberval Passe-Partout Snowmobile Club
- Relais des Buttes snowmobile club
- Les Loups du Nord Snowmobile Club
- Snow Courser Club
- Ceinture Lake Snowmobile Club
- Dolbeau-Mistassini Snowmobile Club
Saguenay and fjord sector
Fjord Snowmobile Club
Saguenay Snowmobile Club
Caribou-Conscrits Snowmobile Club
To find out about trail conditions, consult the interactive trail map. Tap the snowflakes icon at the top right. Knowing the conditions is essential for a safe and fun excursion.
Snow cover in Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean can last about 5 months; from mid-November to mid-April. To ensure sufficient snow cover at the start and end of the season, you have to move into more mountainous terrain to be able to take advantage of it.
Snowmobilers who roam our regional trails benefit from an affordable, diversified and comfortable hotel offer. The lodges of outfitters, inns, yurts, hotels, etc. offer hospitality, warmth, hearty meals and of course more than comfortable beds. Note that many even offer packages specifically for snowmobilers.
Featured accommodations for a memorable night in winter
The Town of Dolbeau-Mistassini, located near La Passerelle du 49e, offers several accommodation options for snowmobilers. Among other things, discover the offer of Vauvert-sur-le-lac-Saint-Jean.
Who says snowmobile, says relay. These essential places for snowmobile enthusiasts meet the needs of travelers and represent a meeting place where it is good to live, laugh and of course have a snack.
Several restaurants and discovery activities will be on your way to satisfy your taste buds or to entertain you between two snowmobile rides.
Featured Relays and gourmet stops
Chalets Baie Cascouia et Gîte Au Bord Du Lac
Discover local cuisine during your chalet accommodation. In the evening, a table d'hôte for four people and for breakfast, homemade jam and caramel.
Featured sectors to discover or rediscover
The Domaine-Du-Roy sector is located on the west shore of the majestic Lac Saint-Jean. Discover or rediscover this part of the country and its accommodation establishments which offer you a full range of services and absolute comfort near the snowmobile trails.
Need a snack? Delicious options are available to you to feast on during your snowmobile trip: regional cuisine, lunch on the go, microbreweries and more!
Around the lake on a snowmobile? Why not! Whether in Saint-Félicien, Dolbeau, Roberval, Alma or any other towns and villages in Lac-Saint-Jean, you can count on a wide range of accommodation to rest you during your snowmobile outing.
Food lovers will be happy to learn that several delicious restaurants and relays in Lac-Saint-Jean will be found on their way. Comforting meals and regional specialties await you!
View all snowmobile packages hereSee the packages
Snowmobiling is a form of transportation, but it is mostly a leisure activity. An activity that gives a great feeling of freedom and ecstasy. But this feeling must be accompanied by great preparation and compliance with certain safety rules. Safety is a priority. Consult the safety rules that apply.
Here are the steps to plan a successful snowmobile excursion:
- Order a free printed edition of the trail map
- Make sure you have a valid trail access right
- Consult the interactive trail map for:
- Ensure that the trail conditions are acceptable;
- Plan a realistic route according to your experience and the duration of your hike;
- Make sure to target snowmobile relays to warm up and have a snack, in addition to service stations to refuel you;
- Consult the information and contact details of these companies in order to contact them to validate the services offered and find out the opening hours.
- Download the iMotoneige application
- Book your accommodation in advance
- If you do not have a snowmobile, be sure to reserve your device with companies offering snowmobile rentals.
- If you are a beginner snowmobiler, consider the services of a snowmobile guide
To review all the necessary preparation steps before setting off on your journey, take the time to read the blog article Snowmobiling Saguenay – Lac-Saint-Jean from a Beginners Perspective